Sunday, February 15, 2009

bad luck

One of my dear friends, who is getting married on 27th February, just finished 1 year in his current company on 11th Feb. I was asking for a party from him on this occasion. Somehow he denied for party. At this time we were not aware what destiny had for him tomorrow. A day after this, I was in office and I got a call from one of my college friend who told me that Sapient has just laid off several employees. My friend was also in this company, so to worry about him was my natural response. I was not aware about the fact that my friend was also on bench from last 5 days.
I called him to know about him, but his phone was going busy. I tried for around 1 hour, just to get same response. Later on I got a call from him, and the thing which should not happened, had happened. Sapient had taken a step of retrenchment, and axe had fallen on around 600 employees, and of those unlucky employees 3 were my friend. My friend about whom I am writing was consistently in project for last 360 days. But unfortunately when Sapient had taken this step he was on bench. Neither their past performance nor their bench duration was taken into consideration.
Luck has its own share for this friend of mine, who is with me since 2001(starting of 1st year in college). Very talented and sharp guy, who finished his engineering with more then 70% marks, struggled with me after college to get a decent job. My struggle was finished in January 2006 but his struggle prolonged for few more days. We appeared together in MBT's interview in Noida, while I was asked some normal questions from engineering, he was grilled in concept of physics from school level. Later on he completed his PG diploma in embedded from C-DAC Mohali, but unfortunately he did not get a job from there as well. In one company when he was short listed, the company did not get project for which they were recruiting these people. Later on he get through ABB, and selection in ABB itself tells his level of knowledge. After hopping from Mumbai to Bangalore he came to Gurgaon for Sapient, to receive this award for his hard work. Average of 10-12 hours per day was his routine in this company, which gave him this reward. He will definitely get a better job from this and I am sure for this, but his faith has been shattered by this incident. And to make the matter worse this incident took place when it was least expected, just a fortnight before his marriage.
He has got an offer from his past employer by the time I am writing this blog, which might turn into blessing in disguise. Hope for the best for him.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

My best wishes are with your friend.. and yet again a very well written blog... it reflects a lot about your persona...

All the best to your friend,..
Keep writing... its a pleasure to read ur blog... as we all go thru the same routine but to jot it down is a great thing... hats off :)